[Osmf-talk] Question about permission to use OpenStreetMap name

Steve Jackson stevejackson8 at protonmail.com
Mon Jul 29 19:41:06 UTC 2019

Hello OSMF members,

I'm subscribed to this mailing list. However, I am addressing it with a different email address, because I fear negative consequences for myself simply by asking this question. I don't want to be attacked personally as others who expressed themselves in this context before.

Is it possible for the OSMF to prohibit an organization from using the name OpenStreetMap, even if it had previously allowed it? For example in the case of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team, to avoid confusion as has happened on several occasions and recently with Facebook (discussed on the main list https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2019-July/082959.html). What would be formally the correct procedure within the OSMF to discuss and make a decision about it?

Thank you,
Steve (not my real name)