[Osmf-talk] Turning off services and/or adding banners to protest against the EU Copyright Directive

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Mon Mar 18 10:29:14 UTC 2019

On Sunday 17 March 2019, Michael Reichert wrote:
> [...]
>
> - Add a banner (like our advertisement for State of the Map) to the
>   upper left corner of www.openstreetmap.org
>   Pull request at
>   https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/2181
> - Add a black horizontal bar (about 70 pixel high on desktop, smaller
> on mobile screens) to openstreetmap.org with nearly the same content
> but as translateable text with a clickable link. Similar to
>   https://michreichert.de/osm/openstreetmap.de/karte.html

I would very much support these.  The idea of concentrating the effort
on a single day seems a very good one to avoid unnecessarily annoying
people but concentrate on raising awareness.

> - Turn off all map tile caches in Europe or let request point to
> nowhere (depens what is easier to implement).

Not quite sure about this one.  The idea of propagating the protest to
users of osm.org tiles seems fine (it is just for a day) but just
disabling the service without providing information why seems
suboptimal.  Delivering tiles with a message would seem the better
solution if feasible (and would promise some nice screenshots of EU
institutions protesting the directive...)

On a general note - this protest now is focused on article 13 of the
directive draft.  There is relatively broad opposition against this
also from journalists, authors and artists so this is not a matter of
content users vs. content creators.  See

https://juliareda.eu/2019/02/article-13-worse/

Parts of the rest of the directive however are seen more positively by
quite a lot of people - though many articles fall short of what would
be good.  And because of that there are some who lobby for the whole
thing because they want these components and they simply don't care
about article 13 or don't understand what it means.  This is important
to keep in mind when you read up on the subject.  See also:

https://wikimediafoundation.org/2019/02/07/problems-remain-with-the-eus-copyright-reform/

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/