[Osmf-talk] 2019 Annual General Meeting and election updates

Dorothea Kazazi dorothea at osmfoundation.org
Fri Nov 1 20:01:39 UTC 2019

Hi all,

The 13th Annual General Meeting of the OpenStreetMap Foundation will be
held online in the IRC chat room #osmf-gm on the IRC network
irc.oftc.net, at 16:00 UTC on Saturday, 14 December 2019. The agenda
will be available here:
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Annual_General_Meetings/2019#Agenda

Information about email voting will be sent in due course, and voting
will open one week before the AGM.

# Timeline
The timeline has been updated and finalised. It is now at:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation/AGM19/Election_to_Board

* Board candidates can now nominate themselves at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation/AGM19/Election_to_Board#Candidates
* Members can now add their questions at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Foundation/AGM19/Election_to_Board

The information below is also available with more links at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation/AGM19/Election_to_Board

# Seats
This meeting will have a board election, with four seats available (of
Kate Chapman, Heather Leson, Mikel Maron and Frederik Ramm). Meanwhile
the terms of Paul Norman, Joost Schouppe and Tobias Knerr continue.
There are seven seats on the foundation board.

# Treasurer
Please note that we are looking for a new Treasurer. The Treasurer is
involved with budgeting for the future, but also doing everyday
transactions
and providing the required transparency to OSMF members and authorities.
The treasurer works closely with our freelance accountant.

# Candidates
To become a director on the board, you must be a member, not an
associate member. To run for the board election, add your name to the
table at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation/AGM19/Election_to_Board
Deadline for members to put themselves forward for election: 10 November,
00:01 UTC.

If you want more information about what the board does and does not do,
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Mission_Statement#Scope_of_the_OSMF_board
has an overview of the scope. A lot of the foundation's work is done by
working groups, and if you want to help the foundation, you can look at
joining those. The election's wiki page has links with additional
information.

## Questions to candidates
We will have a structured question gathering process, like last year.
Mike Collinson will facilitate the process.

* We invite members to post their questions to
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Foundation/AGM19/Election_to_Board
up to 13 November.
* Mike Collinson will gather the questions, organise them and will publish
an official set for the candidates on the same wiki page.
* Candidates are then kindly asked to submit their answers and
manifestos directly to the facilitator (mike at ayeltd.biz) and cc our
administrative assistant (dorothea at osmfoundation.org). It's up to the
candidates to answer all the questions or just a few of them. Our
suggestion is to answer all of them.
* When all candidates have submitted their answers, there will be a
given date when all answers/manifestos will be published at once. The
proposed date is 30 November.
* Then discussion commences, preferably until 7 December 16:00 UTC, when
voting opens.

We expect this to be the official election campaign process. We won't
restrict members to continue to talk on our members' mailing list nor
will we restrict candidates to continue discussions, but we don't
encourage them to do so. The official answers and questions thereof
should be what voters use to judge.

## Approximate time needed to answer official questions
9-11 hours (based on estimates provided by 2018 candidates).

## Facilitator
Michael Collinson was active 2006-2014ish as a board member, board
secretary,
SotM and chair of the License Working Group. More recently, he acted as an
election observer for HOT and OSM US. Active mapper from 2005 till now.

# Election to board: Voting
To vote, you need to be a member or associate member throughout the
period of 30 days prior to the date of the meeting. If your membership
has lapsed, will lapse soon or your status needs updating, please handle
it now.

Voting will be organised in a similar way to previous years. Voting members
will receive an email from the on-line voting service with links to the
on-line
ballot for each ballot measure. The election will be carried out under
single
transferable vote rules (STV). Each foundation member will cast their vote
by
ranking candidates according to their preference. A maximum of four will be
elected.

See voting information and instructions for details:
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Annual_General_Meetings/2017/Voting_Information_and_Instructions

# Voting on changes to the Articles of Association or other changes
This year members will be also voting on changes to the Articles of
Association
and other changes. Please see
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2019-October/006266.html
The suggested changes are at
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/w/images/c/c5/Suggested_AoA_Changes.pdf

## Voting on changes to the Articles of Association (special resolutions)
The AoA changes require a majority of 75% of votes to pass, and only normal
members can vote.

## Voting on other changes
Other resolutions, that are not AoA changes, only require a 50% majority,
and
normal as well as associate members can vote.

# Key dates

* Nov01 Start of submission of nominations and questions.
* Nov10 00:01 UTC Deadline for members to put themselves forward for
election.
* Nov13 00:01 UTC Deadline for members to post questions for the candidates.
* Nov14 00:01 UTC Deadline for becoming a new member eligible to vote or to
stand for election.
* Nov14 Deadline for official invitation.
* Nov16 "by the end of" (UTC) Official set of questions published.
* Nov27 00:01 UTC Deadline for candidates to send answers and manifestos to
facilitator.
* Nov30 Candidates' answers and manifestos published.
* Nov30 to Dec07 16:00 UTC Community discussion.
* Dec07 16:00 UTC Voting opens (exactly 1 week before AGM).
* Dec14 16:00 UTC Deadline for voting. Start of AGM on IRC.

# Links