[Osmf-talk] OSMF Board Election - Official candidate questions now published

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Sat Nov 16 10:04:41 UTC 2019

I have now produced a collated questions for candidates to answer.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Foundation/AGM19/Election_to_Board

Candidates, please a rough estimate of how long it takes you and let me
know. This will help me or future volunteers keep it reasonable. My
particular concern is the impact on non-native English speakers.

Thank you to all who posted questions. If you have any feedback or
concerns about what I have done, please do feel free to let me know
publicly or privately.

--------------

OK, that is the announcement done, but for transparency, here are some
notes on my methodology:

I want to strike a balance between candidate's time and "censorship",
(i.e. not including everyone's questions). I also want as much as I can
to set a level playing field for non-native English-speaking candidates
and candidates from non-Western cultures.

Last year it took candidates who responded to me at least 8 hours to
compile answers. Two candidates took well over that. I had some
thoughtful private feedback from 3 folks who had posted community
questions. Last year, I generalised questions as much as I could and
ruthlessly cut anything that was "What is your position on X" and not
clearly OSM-related. That meant I filtered out specificity and had some
soul-searching as to what to do with identity politics. As a result of
the feedback, I have tried something a bit different this year: There
are more very specific/complex/perhaps controversial questions but I
have given candidates some choice in what questions they want to tackle
- so I hope it is not too overwhelming. In particular, there is a "What
would you do?" section where I have taken a number of questions and
presented them as if there were board agenda items.

Last year, Dorothea put the unedited community questions below the
"official" set. I thought that worked very well for transparency and we
are repeating it this year.

If you are curious about last year's questions, here is the link:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Foundation/AGM18/Election_to_Board#Official_set_of_questions

Mike