[Osmf-talk] attribution: board letter to facebook

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Mon Oct 21 16:39:32 UTC 2019

On Monday 21 October 2019, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> > speaking of which, here's another example from them with no
> > attribution to OSMF (yes I checked it's OSM data)
> > https://twitter.com/Bridge_Activity/status/1185939655356829702?s=09
>
> How did you check it? For this picture I would pretty much expect all
> of the data to come from natural earth (but I may be wrong).

Since the corporations with attention greed are probably listening:  We
just know when you use OSM data, even at low zoom levels.  At z3 and
above it can usually be determined reliably if OSM data is broadly
used.  It becomes more difficult when OSM data is only used selectively
for some features but not for others.

How we know?  Well, that is a business secret.  You will understand. ;-)

And in the map Nuno referred to at the zoom level of the screenshot the
water data is with near certainty from OSM.  The dark country marking
however is not.

BTW not the only map from UN organizations that violates the OSM
license:

https://www.unep-wcmc.org/about-us/partners
http://watershedexploration.unep-wcmc.org/

(listed on 'lacking proper attribution' since 2015)

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/