[Osmf-talk] [OSM-talk] Attribution guideline status update

Jeffrey Friedl jfriedl at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 31 09:28:34 UTC 2019

> > And the hypocrisy goes on. "Strava launches gorgeous new outdoor maps" https://blog.mapbox.com/strava-launches-gorgeous-new-outdoor-maps-977c74cf37f9
>
>    I'm not sure what you're reporting, but the maps all have "© Mapbox © OpenStreetMap" in the lower-left
>    corner.  (Perhaps they were cut off in some of the screenshots in news coverage, but the actual maps in
>    the Strava app and on their web site all have this attribution.)  I suppose that they could use a slightly
>    stronger background shadow, to create more contrast when the map behind the attribution is light.
>

> that is not true.

WHAT is not true? Why can't you be specific?

> https://twitter.com/mastermen/status/1127672128797663239?s=09

That's a half year ago, showing an edited screen capture. What relevence is to this discussion?

> from the moment they use OSM they agreed with it's terms

"They" being Strava?  I don't beleve that Strava uses, or has ever used, OSM data.
I'm pretty sure that Strava is a customer of Mapbox, and it's *Mapbox* that uses OSM data
and generates images that Strava displays.  If Mapbox is not putting attributions properly,
complain to/about them.

    Jeffrey