[Osmf-talk] Funding of iD Development and Maintenance

Allan Mustard allan at mustard.net
Mon Aug 3 20:09:01 UTC 2020

apm

On 8/3/2020 1:39 PM, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> That is a refreshingly comprehensible, consistent and reflective
> explanation of the motivation behind the project funding decisions.
> Thanks.
>
> All other issues aside (on which i have partially commented elsewhere) -
> one of the key problems of the strategy you outline is the
> identification of what belongs to the domain of key/core infrastructure
> and the selection of projects/people from this domain for financial
> support - based on short term usefulness/need?  Long term strategic
> importance?  Merit of the people involved?  Economic needs of the
> people?
I think I said that in my message.  It's not defined and there is no
consensus that we can discern.  That's something a reconstituted EWG
would need to grapple with. If you can suggest objective criteria to
define "core" or "key" infrastructure, we are all ears.
> The main benefit of the volunteer do-ocracy model in OSM is not that it
> is so efficient to recruit and motivate qualified people to do
> important work fast.  It is that it seems to in the medium term perform
> at least some level of market self regulation.  Mostly because the most
> competent people intuitively pick fields to volunteer for with
> significance in present and future.  Far from perfect of course - i am
> the first to admit that and i have lamented the lack of focus on
> strategically important things in the OSM community on many occassions.
> But ultimately my question is:  What makes you think a resurrected EWG
> you are going to recruit is going to do any better?
If you have a better idea, the Board is all ears.  It's the best idea
we've had so far, but if there is a better one, great.  Type it up and
send it, please!
> And emphatic +1 on Simon's request for a solid public budgeting - for
> permanent tasks preferably at least with a three year horizon (see also
> Roland's request in that regard from May and the FOSSGIS statement
> regarding hiring).
We agree and we're working on it. Keep talking and you may get drafted
for the Budget Working Group ;-)