[Osmf-talk] Funding of iD Development and Maintenance

Michael Reichert osm-ml at michreichert.de
Wed Aug 5 20:10:49 UTC 2020

Hi,

Am 05.08.20 um 14:15 schrieb Allan Mustard:
> On 8/5/2020 7:27 AM, Mateusz Konieczny via osmf-talk wrote:
> *From my perspective it is pretty clear.  Wikimedia Foundation put no
> limits on its growth.  That is why the OSMF Board is discussing what the
> outer boundary of growth and our budget should be.  We view unrestricted
> budget growth as a risk factor.*

Growth can be slowed down and therefore become less dangerous by having
a mandatory membership vote if the Foundation widens its scope, e.g. for
any new paid position, any continuous funding of something,
long-time/unlimited obligations etc.

If members have to agree on major things, it is not only a board which
needs to convince each other to spend money but they need to convince
the members. FOSSGIS has proposed a step into such a governance model,
having the idea in mind of power staying with the people and as a
safeguard against too high influence by large players. In addition, it
gives those a voice who don't participate in discussions like this for
reasons such as time constraints, fluency in English or personal ones.

Best regards

Michael