[Osmf-talk] Funding of iD Development and Maintenance

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 08:56:12 UTC 2020

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 at 00:31, Allan Mustard <allan at mustard.net> wrote:

> OSMF won't fail, simply because the "worst-case" scenario is reversion to the 100% do-ocracy of volunteers, which has its drawbacks but is doable, has been sustainable for nearly 16 years, and is very low cost.  That particular downside risk is very small, as in very close to zero.  The question is whether there are improvements to the platform within our reach, for which funds could be raised, that would not undermine the volunteer spirit of the OSM community and thereby to endanger the project.  The Board is listening to all voices, not only the loudest, and we encourage all with information and perspectives to share, to speak up.

I'm unfortunately not reassured by your comment. If the head of the
local council said "Don't worry, if this new dam doesn't work out as
we intended, the worst-case scenario is we'll drain the reservoir and
move back into the village" then I wouldn't be reassured by that
either. Both show a lack of awareness that some decisions aren't
reversible, and sometimes you can't simply go back to what you did
before.

Thanks,
Andy