[Osmf-talk] OSM-US local chapter application

Craig Allan allan at iafrica.com
Fri Aug 21 11:46:50 UTC 2020

Hi All.

Questions: None

Comments: I support the formation of the LC for the USA.

Concerns:
1) The USA is one really big entity, so to improve direct engagement
with membership (building membership is my thing) I would not object to
formation of regional LCs operating closer to the members - for example
East, Midwest, West.  They will have to decide internally whether to do
this, but from the OSMF point of view I would support pre-emptively
adding to the LC charter the clause discussed earlier for the Pacific LC
to provide for the creation of independent or subordinate regional LCs
if the need arises.

2) All but one of the USA directors seem to be employed in commercial
GIS related roles.  I know that this is not an election for directors,
but just as idle chatter I'd just say that maybe most of their board may
lean towards technical and commercial application of OSM and not really
worry about building membership.  The best mitigation of the most
serious risks facing OSM lie with expanding membership and not with
building commercially exploitable capabilities.

regards
Craig Allan
OSM: cRaIgalLAn