[Osmf-talk] FLOSSK Local Chapter Application

Craig Allan allan at iafrica.com
Thu Aug 27 10:50:53 UTC 2020

Hello All,

Support: I support the application by FLOSSK to become a local chapter
of OSMF.

Questions: None - I learned about the Kosovo group during the
Microgrants process and they seem to be active and effective.

Comments: Kosovo is part of the core of the Albanian language, with
Albania and parts of North Macedonia. Globally there are about 7 million
speakers.  This is a small community and it seems to be sensible to
encourage the Kosovo Chapter to support OSM activity of Albanian
speakers from the other core areas and the extensive diaspora. OSGeo and
Wikimedia have non-spatial language chapters to serve this purpose, but
I think we prefer geographic LCs so the out-reach to other Albanian
speakers would be 'light-touch'.  I'm not familiar with local issues in
that area, other than to know they are tricky, so I am cautious about
this and would like to hear their inputs.

Concerns: I would like the OSMF Local Chapter to have a distinct
identity - even though the small size of the member pool means that
membership and many resources may be shared with FLOSSK.  I would be
happy to allow the LC to develop over some years.

regards
Craig Allan
OSM: cRaIgalLAn