[Osmf-talk] clarification of the AoA amendment on board committees

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Sat Dec 5 09:04:20 UTC 2020

Hi!

there are two aspects of the Committee/Working Group discussion that I
want raise here.

First: Why do we need an AoA amendment? I don't know any organization,
for-profit or non-for-profit, where the board does all the work. It is
kind of obvious to me that the board can delegate work and
responsibility to others, be they paid or not. (Of course, the final
responsibility rests with the board, legally and because they are the
only ones the members voted for.) I am on the board of directors of
FOSSGIS, the German OSMF chapter. Our AoA equivalent only contains one
sentence roughly translated to "The board can name representatives for
special issues". It doesn't say anything about working groups or
committees, because it doesn't have to. We have always had working
groups and the like and nobody ever asked for a change of the AoA.
Maybe there is something fundamentally different in British law that
says, we need this, if that's the case, please tell us.

Now I do think there is some value in writing down how the
organizational structure is supposed to work. This helps everybody
understand the system and work together better. And, as this discussion
shows, there are a lot of differences how we perceive the existing
organizational structure, so clarification here would be great. But I
don't think this has to be done in the AoA, but it can be done in a more
informal bye-law that can be changed and amended as the actual practice
of doing things evolves. And it has to come after, or maybe more "at the
same time" as actually setting up this structure. Otherwise we have
changed the AoA with great effort and then figure out that the structure
we intended doesn't work in real-live as we expected and now can't be
changed again without large effort. And because in the end the
responsibility rests with the board anyway, the board can set up this
structure in a way it wants to do this without explicit approval from
the members. Its good to discuss these things before implementing them,
but it doesn't need a vote.

Now to the second issue: Allan makes an argument for there being two
different kinds of "groups". The "board committees" doing things
internal to OSMF and the "working groups" doing things that are more
"community things". This goes back to the view that the OSMF has only a
supporting role in the OSM community but should not control it. And I
understand where he is coming from, but I don't think this reflects the
reality of what we are doing.

There simply is no way to keep these things separate. If the OSMF hires
a sysadmin, is this under the purview of the "hiring committee", or the
"sysadmin working group"? We can not see the working groups as somehow
distinct from the OSMF. They have budgets, spend the money of the OSMF.
Decisions of working groups have been overruled by the board. The
decisions of the data working group come with the power to block
accounts which comes from the power of those running the servers and the
servers run on OSMF money. It is good that the OSMF runs the shop with a
light touch. But it is involved. And it will become more involved in the
future. So I don't believe the distinction that Allan sees, is there.

And we can argue for a long time whether working groups have in the past
been created by the board or by the community or how they should be
created in the future. The reality is always fuzzy. There were people
seeing the need to do things, so they did them. And their informal work
morphed into something more formal over time. Today the working groups
have budgets and many have special "powers", like the membership working
group which has, obviously, access to membership records, so I don't
know how more "internal" to OSMF something would get.

To sum up: I don't see that there are clearly distinct types of "groups"
in the OSMF. We have what we call "working groups" and we can have more
working groups for all sorts of things. Some do more "administrative"
things, some more "community" things, but really, there is a continuum.
So why do we need a distinction here?

Jochen

Jochen Topf  jochen at remote.org  https://www.jochentopf.com/  +49-351-31778688