[Osmf-talk] Some words are subjective | Re: Proposed v2 of the Local Chapters Agreement, hopefully leading to OSMUS as a LC

Rory McCann rory.mccann at osmfoundation.org
Thu Jun 25 12:59:31 UTC 2020

On 25/06/2020 14:25, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> While that is not explicitly vague by using words like 'might' it is
> basing what the chapters are to agree to on an assessment that is
> inherently subjective.  The word 'tarnish' describes a subjectively
> negative influence something has on something else - what one person
> sees as tarnishing another person might see as enriching.  The
> reputation of someone or an organization is by definition something
> subjective - someone having a good reputation in certain circles might
> have a bad reputation with other people.

Yes nearly all words are subjective. But that's why humanity has
invented a legal system! Contracts aren't computer programmes that are
calculated by machines, they're written in human languages. Judges &
court cases & the legal system interpret words, and make rulings and
decisions.

This contract doesn't mean “If anyone, anywhere at any time does (or
doesn't!) think $ACTION tarnishes the reputation, then you're free (or
damned)”. The LCA (current & this proposal) state if there's a
disagreement, we go to the Centre for Alternative Dispute Resolution to
try to get a decision, or use the courts of England.

“a-ha! sometimes words need interpretation! betcha didn't think of
that!” isn't a genius-level gotcha.

Rory