[Osmf-talk] FOSSGIS position on OSMF hiring staff (WAS: Framework for the foundation's hiring practices)

John Whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 19:50:22 UTC 2020

Just a comment, in theory each job should have a job description etc.
But once I had end of year money available so hired a programmer to come
and take a look at one of our systems I didn't have time to sort out.

It's update process was done once a year and it had never really
worked.  For the previous five years before I arrived we'd had a
consultant in for a month to handle the update process.  The verbal job
description was sit in the office and drink coffee.  It was one of the
most productive consultant hiring I did.  Because there was no formal
description they took the time to see how we did things and made a
number of recommendations.  One of which meant we approached the system
in a completely different way and enabled me to rewrite the entire
system in three days.

So yes a formal job description is good but just sometimes you may not
know enough to know what you should be asking for.

Cheerio John

Sent from Postbox <https://www.postbox-inc.com>