[Osmf-talk] February 27th Board Meeting

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Mon Mar 2 15:58:56 UTC 2020

It should be noted that while there are many reasons for slow tile
the US a large reason is

https://dns.openstreetmap.org/tile.openstreetmap.org.html

that is three tile caches in North America vs. 27 or so for Europe (very
comparable population wise). Given the tile cache network is based on
donated services, the US community has it completely in their own hands
to improve the situation. I'm not going to dwell on the irony of the
situation, but just point out that a reasonable tile server does not
have any large associated hardware or running cost and that we have
caches in places that are order of magnitudes smaller and poorer.

Simon