[Osmf-talk] Should FOSSGIS's status be revoked now? | Re: Geolibres Local Chapter application for Argentina

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Thu May 7 20:28:37 UTC 2020

On 05.05.20 22:04, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Well - while FOSSGIS, like the OSMF and Geolibres, has a rule that a new
> membership must be approved by the board, of all three only Geolibres
> has the *added* rule that you must be "introduced" by an existing member
> (and will otherwise be relegated to a non-voting status). With both
> FOSSGIS and OSMF, you can sign up without first finding someone to
> "introduce" you.

Sure, but no-one was objecting to that. The objection was to the “board
approval required” rule. 😉

You're right that it's important to know if, in that culture, this is
“merely a formality” (not a problem for me), or “of such legal
ramifications that people will only approve close personal friends” (a
big problem for me).

The board is talking to Geolibres about this. But anyone on this mailing
list can help by collecting evidence to see which it is! Ask friends (or
friends of friends) familiar with this culture. Email random FLOSS
mailing lists. OSM is a do-oracy. So please do something. 😉