[Osmf-talk] Framework for the foundation's hiring practices

Ben Abelshausen ben.abelshausen at gmail.com
Wed May 13 09:50:02 UTC 2020

Hi Tobias,

I think this is a good idea and most of what is there aligns with my
past experience. Having this in place at least makes sure that when
someone needs to be hired there is a good framework in place. Doesn't
mean we can't still discuss if hiring is needed in specific cases, or at
all even. Hiring has been done in the past without a strategy, so this
is definitely an improvement!

About the risks:

A good guardrail against the risk of keeping people on too long because
of 'not wanting to let people go' is to set very clear expectations when
hiring. I think it's important when someone has to be let go they
understand why and that this can be explained by the expectations set.
IMHO this should be part of the framework, clear expectations on what
working for the OSMF is like, what is expected but also what someone
working for OSMF can expect.

Having staff from outside the community is not only a risk. It can also
be an added value. A new perspective and someone unbiased by past
experience on how we do things can be very valuable. Also, if we can't
get paid staff to understand how the community works then how can we
expect this from new people joining?

And last, yes a 'chilling effect' is a risk. I've seen this happen when
someone volunteering their time applies and doesn't get selected. I
think you have covered this pretty well by trying to focus on things
currently not being done but that need doing. I've also seen the
opposite of this 'chilling effect' happen. It can be a good thing when
someone wants to contribute to a project and there is someone else
highly responsive willing to help them get started. Taking the time to
onboard and introduce new contributors to a project and helping out can
really help to grow a volunteer base. Paid staff can take away much of
the overhead so volunteers can focus on the things they like to do the most.

There is also some experience with this in the local chapters, some have
hired and seem to manage this well. I'm sure there are also other
communities to look at for good or bad examples but opinions probably
differ on who are the good and the bad ones... ;-)

Cheers,
Ben