[Osmf-talk] Microgrants meetings

Christopher Beddow christopher.beddow at gmail.com
Fri May 29 21:54:51 UTC 2020

The selection work is not finished and 2 observers have been selected among
those who were considered by the board. The observers will be briefed on
the discussions to date and have full access to all materials used in
discussions to date, as well as the opportunity to ask open questions. The
intent of the committee is to make grant decisions with an objective
adherence to the guidelines set forth when the program was announced, and
to minimize the subjectivity required. The long term goal, if future
microgrant rounds occur, will be to have observers always welcome, and to
have a well defined process that easily makes quick decisions based on the
past precedent and rules. The most difficult part is keeping the total of
grants to budget, as we received a strong cohort of proposals and good
proposals must be eliminated not by objectively failing to meet
requirements but by some discussion as to why others are better. This
process will be reviewed with the appointed observers in order to ensure
clarity.

I do not know the exact objective qualifications required for the
observers, but Joost has commented on this above. I do recommend to discuss
if you have ideas on how an observer should be nominated, selected, or if
the number of observers should be limited, and why or why not. There is
enormous room for discussion on this and unfortunately (but by intention to
be decisive and effective) the microgrants process has moved too quickly
with the intent to get projects funded and in motion, skipping over longer
processes of deciding exact details. The future rounds, if they exist,
would benefit from any lessons that you, the observers, the committee, the
board, the applicants, and the community can provide. We are all involved
directly or indirectly and we may agree that it is important to actively
remove any barriers to making this a fair process.

best,

Chris