[Osmf-talk] Possible vote on membership prerequisites

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Mon Nov 2 17:38:25 UTC 2020

Hi Kathleen,

On 02.11.20 04:17, Kathleen Lu wrote:
> I'm not sure though why the Board and MWG getting together to study the
> issue requires a resolution? Is it not already within their prerogative
> to investigate the issue and draft proposals?

You're right that drafting a proposal does not require a resolution. But
this first vote would allow us to gauge whether prerequisites are
something the membership even wants, and how broad the support is.

Given that there are different views on the matter even within the
board, I think this is valuable input. It may turn out that the
membership doesn't like the concept at all, in which case our time is
better spent working on other ideas. On the other hand, if a broad
majority supports it, the board + MWG would have a clear mandate to put
in the effort of fleshing out a full proposal.

In essence, this is an opportunity for the membership to let us know
whether we're on to something or wasting energy on a dead end.

--

Tobias