[Osmf-talk] OSM Uganda Local Chapter application

Craig Allan allan at iafrica.com
Wed Nov 25 14:13:29 UTC 2020

Hello All

*Review*:
As an African I strongly support building OSM in Africa. In this regard
I am aware that the Uganda OSM organisation has been doing a lot of good
work, but the current Uganda application for LC approval includes a
constitution that is a bit worrying.

The constitution they provide seems intended for a business entity
rather than a voluntary organisation, staffing itself with lots of
"Executives".  At first I thought this might be because Uganda borrowed
text from a corporate constitution and forgot to adapt it, but on
further reading I find a disturbing clue in the clauses on financial
provisions in Article 19. The first two cited sources of income for the
organisation are:

/1. Executing projects with a geospatial component for Ugandan companies
and other local NGOs//
//2. Subcontracting for (International) NGOs/

Listing trading activities as the first and second sources of income
would seem to say that the proceeds of trading activities are regarded
as the primary and secondary financial sources.

 From the above, I am worried that we are being asked to bless a
commercial consulting entity with our brand reputation and trademarks.
The very extensive formalised secretariat seems to support this concern.
While Local Committees do need to raise funds, I think that OSMF should
be cautious about any LC crossing the line between non-profit and
commercial.   If the applicants are indeed working to start a business
or a major non-profit entity, I truly wish them well in their
endeavours, but it should not be tightly linked to OSMF.

There are other issues, but I have enough concerns already to make a
decision.

*Decision*:
I do not support the current version of the Uganda LC application.

*Suggestions*:
To continue the very good work being done in Uganda so I recommend that
Uganda re-submit a revised version as soon as possible.
The amended proposal should be more closely aligned to the way that
small non-profit organisations are structured and operate.  I do
understand that some NGOs do become quite large and complex, but I don't
see signs of a Uganda LC following that kind of path to scale for at
least several years.
Here are some suggested changes:

1. Lose all the "Executive" titles and roles. Four named office bearers
- Chair, Deputy Chair, Secretary, Treasurer - is normal and adequate. In
addition perhaps four to six board members who can hold portfolios like
Membership, Publicity, Technical, Training etc.
2. Motivate the unusual "Patron" post. Why have this "Father" role?  Is
the Chair inadequately respected?  Is it a local tradition? I don't
understand.
3. Assume that for a few years, or more, the LC will have zero or few
paid employees.
4. Accept that most operational posts should (and will) be filled with
OSM mapper volunteers and structure accordingly.
5. Omit the job descriptions (Article 14) of the secretariat in the
constitution. The JDs are unrealistic for a volunteer workforce and the
barrier to amending them is far too steep.  JDs should be amended by a
Board resolution.
6. Re-write to make the organisation concentrate more on being visibly
democratic and membership focused.
7. Include a Conflict of Interest line that says that no board member or
ordinary member shall personally  benefit from funds raised by the LC,
other than to receive compensation for approved LC related out-of-pocket
expenses.
8. Include another Conflict of Interest line that says a paid staff
member may be a member, but may not vote in any meeting or stand for
election to the Board.
9. Omit the 25% overhead rate on donations from the constitution. The
overhead rate will normally be negotiated with each donor and has
nothing to do with the founding statement of the organisation.
10. Lose any hint or requirement that members be physically present at
any AGM - Uganda is a big place with poor transport so virtual Annual
General Meetings are preferred.
11. The quorum for an AGM is stated as 2/3 of *Board* members.  No
ordinary members are required for an AGM quorum. This is presumably a
mistake.
12. The quorum for a General Meeting is 2/3 of the members who are
present. This is presumably a mistake. Perhaps 2/3 of all the Board members?
13. The constitution can only be amended by vote of 2/3 of members.
Ambiguous.  Is that members present at the meeting or paid-up members
registered with the LC?

Thank you and best wishes
Craig Allan
OSM: cRaIgalLAn