[Osmf-talk] OSM Uganda Local Chapter application

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Fri Nov 27 21:16:49 UTC 2020

On Fri, 27 Nov 2020, at 22:08, Tobias Knerr wrote:
> Among those was a requirement in their constitution for board members to
> meet a certain minimum level of education. Their constitution was since
> changed to drop this particular requirement – you can compare Article 9
> between the versions of the document on the OSM Foundation wiki:
> https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/File:OSM_Uganda-Constitution_2020.pdf
> Note that the newer version still requires skills in one of a list of
> fields, although the list is relatively broad if it's generously
> interpreted.

Yeah that was a weird one. When we pointed it out them on a phone call, they went “Oh yeah, that would limit people, we'll remove it”, and they did. Apparently they got a regular lawyer to draft off-the-shelf constitution, which included that requirement, and they just missed it when reviewing and it slipped it.

I've seen this before, like software projects which want to be open source, but have off the shelf “Terms of Use” which say ”We own all data you upload”. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Even the UK government wanted to sign a £14m contract with a ferry company whose T&Cs were copied from a pizza take away < https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaborne_Freight >