[Osmf-talk] Possible AoA Amendment #2: Your boss can't force you to vote a certain way

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sun Oct 25 23:27:46 UTC 2020

Oct 25, 2020, 23:28 by mike at teczno.com:

>>> I don’t think it’s a legitimate risk or a real problem. None of the commercial organizations where I or my OSM community works would consider such a high-risk, low-reward move. I’m not aware of other organizations with an interest in undermining OSM’s established governance or the motivation to do so.
>>>

>> I find this statement naive to the point of incredulity. It's less
>> than 2 years since we had to deal with one company directing over 100
>> employees to sign up for membership mere hours before the election
>> deadline. Have you really forgotten this already?
>>

> Andy, thanks for pushing back, your long-time level-headed contributions to OSM makes it important to take you seriously.
>
> I think the incident you’re referring to is the Nov 2018 Global Logic one; Off-list, one of the incident report authors helpfully shared with me their summary. There are a lot of ways to interpret that move, including one in which GL acted based on a consistent understanding of how OSM governance works and we saw an attack where none existed.

Are you kidding me?

"On 2018-11-15 there was a mass sign-up of 100 new OSM Foundation member
accounts (there were about 1040 members at the time). Most email addresses used
were linked to a single IP address and were displaying additional irregularities <https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2019-February/005921.html>.
The IP address belonged to GlobalLogic, a company well known to OpenStreetMap.
in the past there had been a larger amount of complaints regarding edits from that company,
which provides mapping services to other companies."

https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/100_new_OSMF_membership_accounts_on_2018.11.15

And you managed to NOT see a coordinated attack here?

Especially as it ended (in this case) with "GlobalLogic has offered to withdraw the memberships."

> The perceived takeover risk here is not grounded in reality.

Which part you are disputing? What you would require to consider takeover risk as being grounded
in reality?

> In order to recognize & act on opportunities OSM must be healthy. Borrowing an idea from individual psychology, we need to be operating nearer to the top of Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs with our basic needs for survival and health met. Hasty AoA changes like this one indicate poor organizational health and look like the moves of a frightened animal.

Pretending that we have no problems and delusional claims of no real risk of takeover attempts
after one already happened is not helpful.