[Osmf-talk] Possible AoA Amendment #2: Your boss can't force you to vote a certain way

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Mon Oct 26 23:59:01 UTC 2020

Am 26.10.2020 um 21:04 schrieb Rory McCann:
> The Linux Foundation is intentionally structured in completely the opposite way, such that the highest tier of corporate members/sponsors always control the majority of their Board of Directors. To them "corporate control of the board" is the goal, and they have deliberately chosen not to do "one person one vote".
>
> AFAIK Wikimedia Foundation is not very democratic, with 4 of 10 being appointed by the rest of the board and 1 seat permanently reserved for Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales. 3 of the 10 seats are elected.

That is not correct. All seats with exception of the one for Jimmy Wales
are appointed by the board. The community is however, currently, allowed
to nominate 4 directors for said appointment.

"Currently" because the board is in the process of changing how that
works, after extending their terms a month or two back and avoiding the
nominations that should have been in process around now.

Simon