[Osmf-talk] Idea for improved mapping system

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 16:38:38 UTC 2020

It seems that we already have several sorts of gamification, albeit without
any badges that I am aware of. In my opinion, these are already causing
problems.  For example, I often come across edits that appear to be made
just to satisfy some QC tool. The edit is made, not necessarily to reflect
what is on the ground, but to simply stop the tool from complaining. I just
came across a case[0] where multiple fords were added to a trail because on
the map it crossed an intermittent waterway. I have hiked that trail dozens
of times, and I am pretty sure it doesn't really cross the waterway, the
waterway is simply not accurately mapped. In another case, my on the ground
survey revealed that a trail no longer existed.  So that other mappers
using outdated imagery and gps traces wouldn't add it back in, I deleted
all of the tags, added a note that the trail no longer existed, and left
the geometry.  Another mapper came along and added highway=path back to the
trail (and left my note).  Their changeset comment said they were "Fixing
OSM Inspector errors."  In this case, it almost seems like someone is
running some sort of automated edit tool to blindly make these "errors" go
away.

Mike
[0] https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/86429922