[Osmf-talk] Possible vote on membership prerequisites

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 12:33:26 UTC 2020

So we are saying that those who support our aims should not be allowed
membership unless they map?

Many find our maps useful.  There are those who are partially sighted for
example, asking them to map first before showing support by joining OSM is
creating a barrier to entry.  Then we have the multitude of small
businesses who print out or use our map to show where their businesses
are.  They have no interest in mapping but OSM makes a very useful
contribution to their business.

I've long thought that consumers of our data or end users if you like often
have their desires ignored.  For practically everything else the end
consumers have some impact.  With osm they get what we give them.

If we lowered the membership fee to ten euros but invited a wider range of
membership that would help block any takeover bids and might even raise a
few more euros.

Cheerio John