[Osmf-talk] Africa as a training ground was RE: google Open Buildings usage request

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Aug 1 10:59:31 UTC 2021

Hi,

On 8/1/21 08:12, dfjkman at gmail.com wrote:
> One of the problems is the number of projects on the go at any one time,
> Africa has more HOT projects on the go than the rest of the world put
> together, many of them overlap and many of them die a natural death without
> ever being validated leaving a great deal of mess behind.

Perhaps we should help improve the quality of these projects by ensuring
a more stringent documentation and prior discussion.

The organised editing guidelines already require that projects be
presented to, and discussed with, the community before they start; a
requirement that HOT has been somewhat cavalier with by documenting
mainly "blanket projects" in
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Organised_Editing/Activities/Humanitarian_OpenStreetMap_Team
(compare the number of things documented there with the number of
projects in the tasking manager).

The organised editing guidelines have a couple more requirements, one of
which is that projects should be planned such that no mess is left
behind (the documentation should contain "plans for a “post-event clean
up” to validate edits, especially if the activity introduces new
contributors to OpenStreetMap").

If it can be shown that HOT projects are regularly falling foul of the
organised editing guidelines, then HOT should be asked to take remedial
action (including cleanup of all the past activities), and if that does
not help, HOT should be barred from conducting any further organised
editing.

Bye
Frederik