[Osmf-talk] Africa as a training ground was RE: google Open Buildings usage request

grin grin-osm at drop.grin.hu
Mon Aug 2 17:26:13 UTC 2021

On Sun, 01 Aug 2021 22:02:21 +0200
Dave <dfjkman at gmail.com> wrote:

> As the person who initiated this thread I just want to make it clear
> that I did not intend it to be come a HOT bashing forum rather to
> point out that Africa tends to be where mappers come to train, some
> to then move on to map elsewhere others to never map again.

I do not want to write a lot others already said well, just a comment:

It seems to be a valid request that every remote mapping project
started shall have at least one local coordinator, who can
actaully help writing and updating the guidelines and oversee
validation. This is mostly about about HOT, but generally about any
organised remote mapping event.

Also similarly there shouldn't be machine based updates/imports without
human control, and the projects shall have at least one local
coordinator to validate the edits.

Remote mapping without any local support shall not be organised in
general case, neither HOT nor AI, and the edits warned/rejected if it
happens.

My 2 'cents,
grin

ps: An interesting experience was the australian bush fire mapping
event where (some of the) local people complained pretty loudly that
they do not want to have the bush pathways mapped since it changes
yearly and it's misleading in their own personal opinion; it was almost
impossible to tell from 10000 km away who's right.