[Osmf-talk] Mapbox Attribution

Mikel Maron mikel.maron at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 15:35:07 UTC 2021

> one had added an extra CSS block:

Yup, that's pretty much how it's done with any JS mapping framework. Not a lot that can be done technically.

If issues are noticed like this, please report them so Mapbox accounts folks can take action. There's a public form that does not require sign in linked from this link. You can also just email me if easiest.
https://docs.mapbox.com/help/getting-started/attribution/#reporting-attribution-problems

-Mikel

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

On Wednesday, August 18, 2021, 11:10:44 AM EDT, Niels Elgaard Larsen <elgaard at agol.dk> wrote:

Peter Barth:
> Hi Board, all,
>
> Some days ago I noticed that Immowelt¹ (a German real estate site)
> is using OpenStreetMap data without attribution. The services are
> provided by Mapbox and while providing big attribution to Mapbox
> the one to OSM is missing.

We have had similar issues with Danish real estate companies (which have been
resolved now)

In some cases it was clearly the client that was guilty (or their website
consultant). For example one had added an extra CSS block:

==
.c-map.mapboxgl-ctrl-bottom-left,.c-map.mapboxgl-ctrl-bottom-right{display:none}
==
to hide attribution that did credit OSM when not hidden.

> I already brought this to the attention of Amanda and Tobias. However,
> as this is one case of many where a customer of Mapbox is lacking
> attribution and Mapbox' stand usually is "It's the customer's fault
> not ours", I wanted to share my thoughts and request here.
>
> 1. Mapbox is a corporate member that should take special care about
> our values. It should be a role model.
>
> 2. In every case involving missing OSM attribution using Mapbox map
> services (and there had been many!), the Mapbox attribution was
> present while OSM was not. I don't know the internal procedures for
> customers, but I'd suppose it shouldn't be too hard for Mapbox to
> enforce (or encourage) customers to take the same diligence for both
> attributions.
>
> 3. As the lack of attribtion in Mapbox maps is a common and repeating
> topic that had been raised to the board in several cases, I'd like to
> ask the board to be a bit more transparent about this topic, about the
> directors' opinions and about potential handling of COIs.
>
> Thanks for listening,
> Peda
>
> [1] Example: https://www.immowelt.de/projekte/expose/k2ub432

Niels Elgaard Larsen