[Osmf-talk] The use of Free and Open Source Software in the OpenStreetMap Foundation - FOSS Policy Committee report

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Mon Feb 1 00:30:01 UTC 2021

Felix,
I'm on the LCCWG and the Microgrant Committee. One of the areas that caught
my attention was using Nextcloud Calendar instead of proprietary calendars
like Google's. I run an instance of Nextcloud mainly for the cloud file
features. I'd like to switch over to using Nextcloud Calendar but
everything I've read points to needing another piece of software to sync
Goole's calendar. Syncing contacts is even more difficult. As one site
stated "Synchronization with Google contacts is less reliable due to
negligence of Google’s CardDAV API. Google’s CardDAV implementation is
allegedly a disaster in terms of data safety."

Unfortunately I'm unable to drop Google's products because like many
others, other parts of my life are stuck with their products. Years ago I
dropped Facebook but that was relatively easy since they don't really
provide features that I need.

I'm glad OSMF is taking this slowly. I caution that we need to insure that
FOSS suggestions/recommendations have the necessary tools to easily migrate
us off of these proprietary platforms. After all, our focus is mapping the
world.

Thanks for all the hard work you and your team did putting this together.

Best,
Clifford

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 8:05 AM Felix Delattre via osmf-talk <
osmf-talk at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> The Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) Policy Special Committee of the
> OpenStreetMap Foundation has been asked by the Board of Directors to assess
> the degree to which Free and/or Open Source Software or Services are being
> used within the OpenStreetMap Foundation (OSMF), the board itself, the
> different working groups, and committees. Today we presented the inventory
> we made in the committee to the board in its monthly meeting, and now we
> want to share it with you as well.
>
> Diary post: https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/xamanu/diary/395615
> <https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/xamanu/diary/395615>PDF report:
> https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/File:FOSS_policy_special_committee_-_Report_on_FOSS_use_in_OSMF_2021-01.pdf
> Raw data sheets:
> https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/File:FOSS_policy_special_committee_-_Report_inventory_data_2021-01.ods
> <https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/xamanu/diary/395615>
>
> Please take a look. Let us know what you think and support each other on
> the way to a freer and even brighter future :) Thanks to everybody involved!
>
> By the way, we always like to welcome new members to the special
> committee, just reach out if you are interested in the topic and joining.
>
> Best,
> Felix

@osm_washington
www.snowandsnow.us