[Osmf-talk] OpenStreetMap Poland Local Chapter Application : status of "paid services" and LC financial resources

nicolas chavent nicolas.chavent at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 20:02:57 UTC 2021

Hi all,

(Resending this email which got stuck in my outbox, apologies
inconveniences if any).

Thanks Rory for opening the community discussion about OSM Polska LC
application.
Thanks for those who chimed in the conversation.
Aside from the points already covered, I'd like to stress another
discussion topic I think we need to consider: it's about the status of
"paid services" within the resources of a LC. This is a point I made
during the community discussion of the MapUganda LC application (it
reads as a diary note [1]).

The part of discussion which relates to paid services within OSMF and
given OSMF LCs, reads below:

"We shall first look back at OSMF and LC and remind ourselves of the
early ages of the OSM project when its ecosystem was nascent and
review some of the strengths that lead to its current affirmation.
Frederik’s question brings us with the non written rule or the
jurisprudence behind the practices under which OSMF and LC from
“developed” countries have been functioning resources-wise so far:
banning paid services from their resources. This is true at OSMF. This
is equally true in given LC like OSMFR where this banning of “paid
services” from the actual resources of the association is collectively
restated year after year at its AGM. This choice in terms of OSMF
resources as well as the choice of keeping the Foundation small (in
its resources, staffing, perimeter of actions) has the benefit to
leave the provision of paid services provision in the hands of
“business” entities of all types (freelancers, associations,
cooperatives, NGOs, business firms…) outside of the OSMF which largely
remains a volunteer-based organization. This allows OSMF neutrality
vis a vis business entities. This limits the room for business logics
as well as conflict of interests in the OSMF which has to handle the
influence of business and business logics without having to operate
with business logics. This efficiently limits the “benefits” members
and especially directors can expect from OSMF. This also safeguards
reasonably the OSMF Board so that professionals or members of business
entities can participate without breaking OSMF neutrality towards
economic operators. These choices contribute essentially to the
autonomy of the OSMF and the OSM sustainability in the long run
allowing for a diversified ecosystem and free interactions of all
actors including business entities of all sorts. This community
discussion about MapUganda LC approval highlights the needs to revise
and consolidate parts of LC and OSMF aspects and processes, these
future discussions shall feature making this “paid services”
jurisprudence a written law as well as defining the essential
perimeter of actions of the OSMF which has been recently enlarged to
system administration, software development, fundraising and human
resources not without yielding questions about possible changes this
can brought to the model of the small OSMF which spearheaded the
growth of the project up to now."

I'd be interested in hearing from you on this topic within:
* the context of this OSM Polska LC application ; but also
* As a practice for consideration/thinking in OSMF which could lead,
if deemed relevant, to codifying good practice, producing LC resource
template, possibly amending AoA.

Excellent day,
Be well and stay healthy,
Best, Nicolas.