[Osmf-talk] Organised editing activity request by commercial company - Talk-Africa - TomTom

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 16:37:49 UTC 2021

Dear need your advise on a recent post in Talk-Africa:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-africa/2021-February/000570.html.

My concerns:

1 do we allow commercial companies, who are not company members of the
OSMF, to advertise on our wiki ? See:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Organised_Editing/Activities/TomTom.
Is there any verification process that this is not a hoax or phishing
attempt, is anyone aware of the presence of TomTom on our wiki and their
activities ?

2 seems like they have organised themself to make a team to import or at
least use TomTom data to "improve" data on OSM. Any Licensing concerns
since I can find no traces of any License agreement or what that they
are referring to as their database ?

3 If the message is real and cannot cause any licensing issues, it looks
interesting to me, but maybe even more the OSM Africa local chapters and
the broader OSM community to contribute, since it is like a mutual
exchange of data. Can anyone inform them since Talk-Africa has hardly
any active members.

4 Would it be wrong to request at least for compensation of expenses
from TomTom if someone or a local chapter contributes ?

Your prompt responses would be highly appreciated,

Kind regards,

Bert Araali