[Osmf-talk] Organised editing activity request by commercial company - Talk-Africa - TomTom

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Mon Feb 15 19:43:42 UTC 2021

Hi Bert,
African communities are often small with limited access to internet. And we have the same problem even in countries with more contributors.  It is difficult to monitor  these multitude projects, either on Maproulette, the Task Managers or other organized editing activities, to know how many, the extents of these projects and what they cover exactly.
In this case, the objective is to revise the roads it seems. I cannot access MapRoulette presently and not sure it would show the extent of the mapping.   The organizers refer to the wiki https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway:International_equivalence while in Africa since 2013 we use the specific wiki https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_Tag_Africa that better respond to the African context. Reference is made to it in the previous page, but we have to be carefull to see this mention.

My comments below are more general about how we could try to better follow these projects.
Without any tools to follow these activities, the risk with the multitude of partners projects, is that big organizations control more and more in which direction is going OpenStreetMap.
We really need better monitoring tools  to follow and react to these projects. And the first step would be to have an overview of these projects, the contacts, their extent, and Changeset variables to link to these projects.

To create a wiki page of each project is not enough for us to monitor the multittude of projects.
It could be a requirement for the organizers to aliment an Organized Editing Database with their projects, description, contacts, training, mapping / validation progress, etc.

A Map tool could use such information to provide an overview and better monitor, interact with organizers.

Pierre