[Osmf-talk] [OSM-talk] Call to Take Action and Confront Systemic Offensive Behavior in the OSM Community

Philippe Verdy verdyp at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 20:31:03 UTC 2021

Le lun. 11 janv. 2021 à 21:21, Johann Haag <johannhaag at hxg.at> a écrit :

> Instead of pointing out local groups to OSM Wiki, granting their own
> interpretations and their own administration rights, then this does not
> make OpenStreetMap better, but we split OpenStreetMap into small kingdoms.
> Local contributors are then no longer part of a global community, but
> subordinates of local kings.

Yes but multiple "kings', so users have choices, and the kings will need to
cooperate. This means no more one "king", only many "princes", and less
centralization in one kingdom where finally only one will rule and will
decide on everything without any form of appeal.

This occurs notably because the OSMF still has non independant mediation
with ombudsmen without any privileges to decide, only to review and submit
public recommendations; to be really indepenadnt these ombudsmlen also need
their own dedicated domain, out of scope of admins in OSMF, the OSMF just
publishing a charter that it will respect the work of ombudsmen and will
not attempt to block thei work or their public statements to the community).