[Osmf-talk] The use of Free and Open Source Software in the OpenStreetMap Foundation - FOSS Policy Committee report

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Fri Jan 29 17:59:51 UTC 2021

On Friday 29 January 2021, Felix Delattre via osmf-talk wrote:

> The Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) Policy Special Committee of
> the OpenStreetMap Foundation has been asked by the Board of Directors
> to assess the degree to which Free and/or Open Source Software or
> Services are being used within the OpenStreetMap Foundation (OSMF),
> the board itself, the different working groups, and committees. Today
> we presented the inventory we made in the committee to the board in
> its monthly meeting, and now we want to share it with you as well.

Thanks.  It is long overdue that this has been done - it should have
been done back when the FOSS policy was adopted already, so it is great
to see we finally make some progress in that field.

There might be a few omissions in the data so i would encourage everyone
to look at the raw data tables and note if anything is missing.  What i
miss for example is github use by the board:

https://github.com/osmfoundation/welcome-mat

Regarding your recommendations - most of them are for OSMF self hosting
services, including for example using "OSMF-owned BigBlueButton" as a
replacement for Mumble hosted by HOT or FOSSGIS.  Does that mean that
the committee considers it preferrable for the OSMF to centralize
services needed by the working groups in the OSMF instead of making use
of federalized services provided by the local chapters?

BTW during the board meeting someone suggested there are unavoidable
non-free software and services.  I wanted to address that with:

Every mountain is unclimbable until someone climbs it,
every ship is unsinkable until it sinks and
every non-free software or service is unavoidable until someone avoids
it.

Innovation comes from people doing those things that are so far
considered undoable.

--
Christoph Hormann
https://www.imagico.de/