[Osmf-talk] Board decision on initial composition of the Software Dispute Resolution Panel

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Sun Jan 31 13:46:18 UTC 2021

On Sunday 31 January 2021, Rory McCann (OSMF Board) wrote:

> No, of course these people are not “personnel” of OSMF. It's because
> we were discussing the suitability of people for roles. Those people
> were not there, and were not taking part in the meeting. It would be
> bad form to talk about their strengths and weaknesses of named people
> who weren't present to a public audience.

So it is better to talk about people and their 'suitability' behind
closed doors than in public?

To be clear, that is not a rhetorical question.  We are a culturally
diverse community so it is well possible that different people consider
different practices to be good and bad form at the same time.

In general in the OSM community we publicly talk about the qualification
of people for different functions all the time.  Even in the OSMF
context.  We have done so in case of the microgrants programm
(insufficiently i might add - but that is a different topic) and we do
so in case of OSMF board elections.  The recently published pamphlet
about alleged systematic misbehaviour of members of the OSM community
was essentially publicly putting into question the suitability of large
parts of the OSM community to be part of the OSM community.

And of course you could have invited the candidates to the meeting to be
there while you discuss their qualification.  Do you think this would
have solved the problem and would have allowed the discussion and
decision to have taken place in public?  If a live presence at the
meeting was not feasible for everyone how about having the deliberation
on the decision asynchroneously in public in advance and then having
the vote publicly in the meeting afterwards?

--
Christoph Hormann
https://www.imagico.de/