[Osmf-talk] Board decision on initial composition of the Software Dispute Resolution Panel

Allan Mustard allan at mustard.net
Sun Jan 31 14:16:40 UTC 2021

Christoph, et al,

> So it is better to talk about people and their 'suitability' behind closed doors than in public?
Yes, it is.  It is a fundamental management practice.  In my 38 years of
U.S. government experience, 32 of those years in management, including
19 years in senior management, not once were personnel matters discussed
in an open forum out of respect for the individuals involved.  They have
a basic right to respect and dignity, and open discussion of relative
strengths and weaknesses would be disrespectful of them.  In such
matters, the OSM community's right to information is outweighed by the
volunteers' right to dignity and respect.  I regret not remembering to
note in the agenda that this would be a closed session, and apologize
for that oversight.  All Board decisions on personnel matters are made
in closed session.

> If the details of the decision (including in particular if there were any conflicts of interest declared) will remain to be seen.
Two Board members declared conflicts of interest in accordance with
established policy, leaving four Board members to vote.  This will be
recorded in the minutes in accordance with the Board's formal Rules of
Order.[1]

[1]
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board_Rules_of_Order#6._Board_Meetings

cheers,