[Osmf-talk] Seeking feedback and interest in the OSMF Engineering Working Group

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Wed Jul 14 18:34:02 UTC 2021

On 2021-07-14 10:52 a.m., Michal Migurski wrote:
> Thanks for working on this, Mikel! An active EWG is necessary for the
> stability and longevity of OSM.
>
> I’d like to see the proposed charter address motivation and
> cooperation with the OWG.

The OWG is responsible for forecasting of demand, purchasing of
hardware, budgeting, etc. It is explicitly not responsible for
developing software. Are you thinking of the EWG requesting resources
for tasks like CI runners, dev ("tool") server resources and the like?

> Can the EWG proposal include measurable goals for moving these numbers
> and a commitment from Operations to help? These are the changes we
> should be looking for:
>
> • Raise the number of community PRs
> • Lower the proportion of owner-only PRs
> • Speed up the merge time of community PRs (Lead Time)
> • Raise the merge rates of community PRs

Just like the names of specific pieces of software aren't hard-coded
into the scope of the working group, I don't think specific numbers for
one software project belong there either. If someone had proposals to
improve the developer experience on an in-scope software project, they
would certainly be considered by the EWG.

Some of the ideas you have also seem outside the scope of the OSMF. See
the last two points on
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Mission_Statement#Scope_of_the_OSMF