[Osmf-talk] google Open Buildings usage request

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Sat Jul 31 06:41:53 UTC 2021

On 7/31/21 01:25, dfjkman at gmail.com wrote:
> Another point is touched upon by Craig, 'If the same thing had happened in
> Germany there would have been a riot on this channel'. Africa is treated as
> the training ground for new mappers, this is all well and good, new mappers
> are welcome and needed, but the large areas they map and errors introduced
> are many and varied and can take considerable time and effort to correct and
> as a result nobody bothers. Nobody actually asks the Africans what they want
> or whether they mind this mess being created in their backyard, judging by
> the response to this thread they don't want it. No wonder many in Africa
> feel they are just the guineapigs for the rest of the world.

This concerns me. Both the use of Africa as a training ground without
any input from the residents, and the apparent lack of a real, proper
training ground for new mappers. While we do have a sandbox, apparently
either the new mappers don't know about it or it doesn't fit the needs
for practice of mapping new features.

At the very least, we should be practicing the ethic "if you wouldn't
want someone mapping like that in your city, don't map like that in
Africa (or wherever)". Basically, it's a variant of the golden rule.

Thoughts?

http://www.rantroulette.com
http://www.skqrecordquest.com