[Osmf-talk] [OSM-talk] New policy adopted | Re: Should OSMF adopt a policy about State of the Map conference in places that are LGBTQ*/etc unsafe?

Craig Allan allan at iafrica.com
Tue Nov 2 20:20:04 UTC 2021

While it is very broadly phrased, the statement by the Board on
international and intra-national OSM branded events seems sensitive and
sensible to me. I would like to support it.

When holding international OSM branded events, like SOTM, where there is
a choice of venue country I do believe that it is our responsibility to
make sure that the event is held in places where attendees can be safe
and feel safe from discrimination. The host country should be actively
working to avoid unfair discrimination directly or indirectly against
anyone on one or more grounds, including race, gender, sex, pregnancy,
marital status, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation,
age, disability, religion, conscience, belief, culture, language and birth.

Unfortunately, once all the countries that fail that test above are
struck from the list, the list will be short and pretty much European,
which is not a good message for a global organisation to be sending.
The Board has fudged around that problem by passing the buck to the SOTM
WG, which is given authority to compromise on our principles if the
countries are assessed as being safe enough.  It's not ideal.
Compromise is always a bit painful.

On the other issue, it would be excessive for us to require OSM
supporters in 'evil' countries to avoid having local events. They have a
hard enough time just living there without us being grumpy at them. But
those events should please be open to all as far as is possible within
the local context, and if they are not, we should withdraw our branding.

Craig Allan
OSM: cRaIgalLAn