[Osmf-talk] Consultation on fundraising strategy

Steve Coast steve at stevecoast.com
Fri Mar 17 00:10:40 UTC 2023

My idea would be to have some kind of conference event, where sponsors could pay to get priority speaking slots and booths.

They could get their logo prominently displayed on the website, and on, say, a conference t-shirt. The pricing could be set to both cover the conference but also there could be large leftover funds to run the foundation if it were well managed.

One of the many advantages of this is that companies often find it easier to fund something if there is a reason, something they get in exchange, like conference slots and so on, rather than throwing money in to an eternal black hole, with nothing to show for it.

Perhaps someone has had this idea already or even implemented it in the past?

Another idea could be to somehow lower costs, perhaps by removing unnecessary or superfluous costs which may have grown dramatically over time. Or perhaps by making sure OSMF costs only directly benefit OSM, instead of, say, offering mapping services for free to the entire internet, or paying for people and associated costs which could be replaced by ChatGPT or Excel.

A good starting point for such discussions could be, what is the money specifically going towards, and why is OSMF spending it that way?

If OSMF got a very large donation, say in the form of cryptocurrency, that donation could be used to hedge cost variations over time and ensure continuity.

Best

Steve