[osmosis-dev] Moving to commons-compression from org.apache.tools.bzip2

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Tue Dec 8 00:13:08 GMT 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Hakan Tandogan <hakan at gurkensalat.com>wrote:

> Hi Brett,
>

> The code for the org.apache.tools.bzip2 library seems to have been moved
> to the commons-compression project. This commons-compression library has
> an "official" site and is distributed in the maven repository.

Sounds great.  Bzip2 has been a pain ever since I started using it.  If it's
now separately available it will clean things up a bit.  Currently it's
stored in an ivy repo in the osmosis tree which forms part of the "local"
repository.

> Would you mind switching to commons-compression? I would fix the pom.xml
> and the small package name change in the sources, but I am not really sure
> what how to change the ivy configuration.

I don't think you'll have any trouble with the ivy descriptor.  You can use
commons-codec as an example.  Change the line:
<dependency org="org.apache.tools" name="bzip2" rev="20090327"
conf="compile->default"/>
to something like
<dependency org="org.apache.commons" name="commons-compress" rev="1.0"
conf="compile->default"/>

If you can then type "ant resolve" and have it run successfully it's
working.

> Regards,
> Hakan
>
> BTW, I should come up with an appropiate unit test for compressed data
> files first :-)

Yep, a unit test would be helpful.  I guess a simple enough test would be to
just write some data to a temporary compressed file and make sure you can
read it back again.  Perhaps manually uncompress the file the first time
with command line bzip2 just to double check it's doing compression.

The osmosis.bat launch script will also need to be updated to point to the
new lib.

Brett