[osmosis-dev] CI-Server (Hudson) for Osmosis?

Hakan Tandogan hakan at gurkensalat.com
Thu Dec 10 10:24:00 GMT 2009

> This is interesting timeing actually, I've been working towards this as
> well.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FOSSGIS/Server/Projects/Osmosis_Continuous_Integration
>
> Until recently I used to run Hudson on my own server at home.  It's
> offline  because I currently don't have net access at home.  But running
> on my own  server wasn't ideal, I'd prefer it to be hosted somewhere more
> public where it's possible for someone else to jump in if I'm unavailable
> for some reason.

Yes, I am running my own hudson as well, and not really comfortable with
providing a "public" service behind my DSL line.

> My old setup used to poll svn every hour or so and trigger a full build
> including all unit tests.  It used to email the osmosis-dev list on
> failure.  I'm hoping to do the same thing again.

This is a nice setup. I would have hudson poll every 5 or 10 minutes if it
is installed on a "public" location, svn polling is really inexpensive, so
you would benefit from quicker turnaround times (which is essential for
CI)

> So it's up to you whether you still wish to go ahead with your own server.
> I hope to get the above project up and running on the FOSSGIS dev server
> in
> the next week or so.  If you're willing to help out I can ask if there's a
> way I can share admin responsibilities on the box.  If you'd sent this
> email
> about two weeks earlier I would have been more than happy to use your
> server, but now that I have access to this other one I'm keen to use it
> because it has a number of other OSM projects hosted on it and seems a
> good fit for Osmosis CI.

If it is possible, I'd love to share admin responsibilities on the box you
are already get access to.

The whole idea with my own root server started with wanting to provice CI
services for osmosis, so if we set up hudson on the FOSSGIS servers, I
would have no pressing need for my own server anymore and could shop
around for a best-fit for my own needs a little bit longer.

There is one thing, though: At the moment, I have set up my own hudson to
publish the osmosis artifacts to oss.sonatype.org (
http://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/openstreetmap-snapshots/org/openstreetmap/osmosis/
) so they can be mirrored to repo1.maven.org. This makes necessary that my
password for sonatype.org is stored on the hudson server. I have to think
about this a little bit, maybe we can use the FOSGISS server for normal CI
builds, and I perform the release builds on my own box at home...

> What were you hoping to do with JIRA?  Osmosis bugs are currently tracked
> on  the OSM Trac server http://trac.openstreetmap.org/.  It's probably
> clunky by comparison to JIRA and I haven't been using it as much as I
> should have but it is the standard way of tracking bugs in the OSM world.

My mistake. I haven't thought of the OSM trac server. The JIRA instance
isn't needed in that case :-)

Regards,
Hakan

--
The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering...