[osmosis-dev] Ignore all nodes except for point features?

David Carmean dlc at halibut.com
Sat Dec 12 18:32:13 GMT 2009

Hi,

Just getting started with postGIS and using osmosis to import OSM data.  After
figuring out that -Xmx6000m worked where -Xmx4096m did not (no idea why???)
I'm now able to create both bbox and linestring in memory and it's incredibly
fast :)  51 seconds for the 1.5x1.5-degree area centered on the SF Bay Area,
which is 500 MB of osm xml (uncompressed).

At any rate, for my application, having the ways with linestring geometry is
enough; no reason to load 1.8 million nodes. But I would like to keep any
valid isolated nodes, such as mountain peaks, etc. So after using the nodes
to create the bbox and linestring geometries, how might I approach selecting
only "valid, isolated" nodes into the dataset I ultimately copy into
postGIS?

(This is primarily to be able to use OSM data in a GIS app; the drawing
layer is dynamically linked to postGIS with a windowed Area Of Interest.)

Thanks.