[osmosis-dev] Closed ways -> polygons?

David Carmean dlc at halibut.com
Mon Dec 21 18:02:36 GMT 2009

I'm attempting to use OSM data, as imported to PostGIS via Osmosis, as
layers in a project in some GIS software; I've had some success crafting
queries to pull highways into a separate table, and am now working on
hydrologic features.  My current roadblock is: how/where can I convert
closed OSM ways into polygons?  And then of course there will be multipolygons.

Is this something better done in PostGIS?  Is this a feature of osmosis that
has a different name than I'm looking for?

Thanks.

(I'd also be interested in discussing/sharing queries with people who are
similarly using OSM data in a PostgreSQL/PostGIS server backend for GIS
software.)