[osmosis-dev] API 0.6 and unique keys

marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 2 14:38:51 GMT 2009

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 15:21:53 +0100, Jochen Topf <jochen at remote.org> wrote:

> I am not sure any more that this JPF magic is the right way to go. At
> least not in this current form. We would at least need some kind of
> versioning mechanism so that I can get a proper message: "Found plugin
> xyz which conflicts bla bla" instead of just giving a null pointer
> exception. I rarely use Osmosis from the command line, normally I have
> scripts calling it, so I don't mind having some extra command line
> options.

Actually your NullPointerException is still an mystery.
It should never happen even if there where broken plugins and things.
There is a version-mechanism that can be used to specify that
a plugin requires a specific version of osmosis.

The code scans the possible plugin-directories, builds an array
of possible plugin-files and then hands that (possibly empty)
array to JPF for registration. I can make sure that it does not
even that if no plugins are found.

Brett insisted that I remove my fail-gracefully -code that would
only complain if there was an issue but allow further execution of
osmosis and that I threw exceptions that would kill osmosis if
there was a faulty plugin.

Marcus