[osmosis-dev] Can not run Osmosis

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Thu Feb 19 12:31:31 GMT 2009

marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 22:51:36 +1100, Brett Henderson <brett at bretth.com>
> wrote:
>
>> But there's no reason we can't do both.  The build now produces two
>> distribution zips (and tars), one which is the full distribution
>> including source, and a second which is just enough to run the command
>> line.  It would be possible to modify the current "-bin" distribution to
>> include a far jar.  It would simplify the command line considerably.
>> Other apps that use osmosis as a library would continue to use the small
>> jar as they do now.  Like everything, just a simple matter of
>> programming :-)
>>

> I suggest a second main-class that only outputs how the correct call has to
> look and give the small jar this one as main-class in the manifest.
> It will prevent such mistakes as above and thus help the users.

That would be definitely better than the current situation.  If there's
a way of making the -jar option work again though I'd prefer it.  Your
suggestion in your second email about updating the manifest sounds
promising.  Although I'm liking the idea of a far jar more and more.
I've been using them at work recently for some quick and dirty java apps
used by testing teams, it works well, is very easy to support and "just
works".