[osmosis-dev] using osmosis to import full history planet

Peter Körner osm-lists at mazdermind.de
Tue Mar 8 12:03:33 GMT 2011

Am 08.03.2011 12:47, schrieb Martijn van Exel:
> Do you mean to say there is a history .jar in that build? I don't see
> one. Or do you mean that I can use the history plugin with that build?
You can use the history jar you build during the last days with this
version of osmosis.

>> Please be warned: I never imported more than a few nodes into a history
>> database. The used node-stores are not able to handle more than some
>> thousand nodes.
>>
>> If you use the plan writing without linestring or bbox builder they
>> should not be used and you should be able to import a much bigger set of
>> data.
>
> I do want the linestring option in the end, the BBOX I can probably do
> without. Let me first try it without the linestring builder and see if
> that works. What kind of work would it take to include the linestring
> builder with a larger dataset? Maybe I can try and pool some resources
> here.

The main problem is that we need to fiddle out which version of a node
correlates to which version of the way. Because the way does not have a
direct reference to the node-version, it's required to compare the
timestamps.

This is done using the HistoryNodeStore interface. It's only
implementation ExampleHistoryNodeStore uses two instances of
java.util.Map to store the nodes. This is not efficient enough to run
with larger datasets but it's well tested and good enough for developing.

A quick look shows that the linestring-builder should be in a usable
state despite the storage problems. The last thing I was working on was
the minor version builder, that aims to create a "half version" of a way
each time one of its nodes got modified. This is somehow experimental.

Peter