[osmosis-dev] using osmosis to import full history planet

Peter Körner osm-lists at mazdermind.de
Thu Mar 10 09:58:32 GMT 2011

Am 08.03.2011 14:39, schrieb Martijn van Exel:
> Hi Peter,
>
> On 3/8/2011 1:03 PM, Peter Körner wrote:
>> Am 08.03.2011 12:47, schrieb Martijn van Exel:
>>> Do you mean to say there is a history .jar in that build? I don't see
>>> one. Or do you mean that I can use the history plugin with that build?
>> You can use the history jar you build during the last days with this
>> version of osmosis.
>>

> So do I just copy the osmosis-history.jar to the 0.37 osmosis? Does it
> go into lib/default?

I think so but I'm not sure.

>> This is done using the HistoryNodeStore interface. It's only
>> implementation ExampleHistoryNodeStore uses two instances of
>> java.util.Map to store the nodes. This is not efficient enough to run
>> with larger datasets but it's well tested and good enough for developing.
>
> Is it possible to mimic osm2pgsql's --slim behaviour, create temporary
> tables in postgres to hold all the nodes and work from those instead of
> memory?

I don't think it's really necessary to create another set of tables. The
nodes-table that is imported before the first <way>-Tag occurs should be
sufficient.

The process would be like that:

import all <node>-Tags, when the first <way>-Tag occurs, create the
indexes and commit the transaction. Then start importing the <way>-Tags.
Use the alredy finished node-Table with an index on the timestamp-column
to fetch the node-version and -coordinates matching a way-version and
build the way-geom as well as the way-nodes-table (with version) from it.

>> A quick look shows that the linestring-builder should be in a usable
>> state despite the storage problems. The last thing I was working on was
>> the minor version builder, that aims to create a "half version" of a way
>> each time one of its nodes got modified. This is somehow experimental.

Peter