[OSRM-talk] Adding street names, turn instructions etc. to GPX output

Phil Endecott spam_from_osrm_talk at chezphil.org
Sat Jun 22 13:57:28 UTC 2013

Dennis Luxen wrote:
> Hey Phil,
>
> the main reason was ease of implementation. There is not fundamental
> reason that would hinder one implementing this. I am not sure though if
> the GOX standard supports additional info beyond the geometry. BUT: The
> GPX format is quite bloated (as all XML formats) in terms of
> signal/noise ratio. Also, supporting multiple output formats (yes, GPX
> is the neglected child, here) needs some more maintenance work than I
> was willing to put into it at the time of coding.

Yes, GPX is verbose.  But we have to tolerate that :-)

Various text attributes can be added to the rtepts.  See
http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/#type_wptType for the spec.  It's not
a perfect
match for driving-directions, but something like this would work OK:

<rte>
   <name>From Oldtown to Newtown via Seaville</name>
   <rtept lat="...." lon="....."/>
   <rtept lat="...." lon=".....">
     <desc>Turn right onto George Street</desc>
     <sym>turn_right</sym>
   </rtept>
</rte>

My interest is getting something that renders usefully in various other
map viewers.  OSRM does at least return the right content-type: header
for the GPX file, which beats most of the other OSM routers that I tried!

Regards,  Phil.