[OSRM-talk] Shortest time versus shortest distance

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Thu Nov 14 08:49:57 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 03:45:31PM -0500, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> Hi Dennis,
>
> I noticed that in the map.osrm for edges we define both edge length
> and edge weight that is in 1/10s units.
>
> Is is possible to get routes based on shortest path versus shortest time?

I did so by a different lua profile - weighting all segemnts the same
e.g. all with speed=100.

> When I was reading somewhere (maybe in the profile.lua) that you can
> apply a cost for traffic lights which implies to me that this is
> adding some time to the route.

For my purpose i even eliminated traffic lights, turn costs, oneways
turn restrictions.

I simply wanted to have distance on tarmac - I am trying to calculate
telecoms cable length for xDSL service where the expected bandwidth
is proportional to length of the last mile copper wire.

> Maybe this is all defined in the profile.lua and I need to look more
> into these.

Yep - The problem is that i found no documentation about the variables
the profile is able to set and what influence they have. I have asked at
least 2 times on this list and got no answer.

I have found that setting the speed to 0 will ignore the way. I have not
found out what "ignore_in_grid" is good for or "type".

Flo